Keeping it in the Family

There's much more knitting going on in my family these days and I hope I've played a part in inspiring this. I'm certainly always knitting whenever I see them - it's important to set a good example you know. I don't tend to talk that much about knitting until some sustained interest is shown as I find it best to hide the true strength of my obsession from the uninitiated! At work this week though I came over all Pollyanna-ish and was extolling the virtues of knitting as the perfect winter hobby to a colleague with the January blues. Well it is isn't it? Something that makes staying in fun and creative (not that I'm averse to knitting in the summer either!) Look at one of my Christmas pressies from my auntie and you can see what a skilled lady with the needles she is and how handy knitted items can be for keeping you cosy whilst you stay in and get creative. I've been meaning to make a hot water bottle cover for so long now and this has been so well used in the last weeks.

My cousin (her daughter) moved to Oxford late last year and is becoming quite the dedicated knitter; Sunday evenings often find us side by side on my sofa clicking away. I do my best to help out and at least I normally know where to look to find the answers. The cats just like to make sure we don't feel lonely.

Tonight the Mr and I will be heading back down to Cornwall to see my parents. My Mum has had to spend a lot more time sitting down, restricted by a bad foot, this winter and what more perfect occupation for her time could there be than knitting?

Over the Christmas holiday she got going on her first socks and I hear that this one is finished already. She's made various other things including this oh- so- pretty -I- must- make- it- myself Jyri scarf from my NGV1 ( that must count towards the knitting more from my books resolution I think) and she finished off the scary monster gloves I made one of for use around the garden. Suited me as the only use I ever found for the single giant glove was to make my cousin feel better when her first project, some mitts, turned out somewhat on the small side. There's nothing like a another failed project to lend a little support is there now?

These are now officially known in the family as the Wallace and Gromit gloves.

Comments

Kai said…
Wallace & Gromit gloves.. :D That's so cool!

My sister knits as well and my mum used to knit and crochet... over Christmas she started again, so there were 3 of us sat in a row all doing some kind of fibre-craft.. Now there's just the rest of the family to convert!
Rose Red said…
I love the W&G gloves!! Hilarious! But you are so rright about knitting - it is the perfect winter craft (and summer craft) - fills in the time all the time and all that (I know you know!!)
mooncalf said…
Oh gosh - they are totally Wallace and Gromit gloves. I love them! That made me smile so much :)
Bells said…
Fabulous gloves! So cool!

It's the perfect all round craft really - I even worked on a sock in an air conditioned cocktail bar this afternoon. :-)
Linda said…
My Mum used to knit years ago. This christmas she asked me to get her a knitting instruction book so that she could re-learn. I think maybe I had an influence on her, :)
Lynne said…
Both my grandmothers knitted, one also crocheted. My mum still knits, MIL has given it away but still crochets. Eldest SIL knits and crochets. My sister can knit & crochet but doesn't have time. Her D#2 knits sometimes. My DD knits. My WM can knit - slowly. My dad can knit and crochet but doesn't! Apparently he crocheted my first cardigan!! So, let's keep on keeping it in the family! LOL
Marianne said…
My mother only knits cotton wash cloths. That's 'it'. No one else in the family knits, I'm hoping Gracie will continue to show interest.
I really wish someone on Bobby's side would learn to knit, my plate is full with my side of the family.
I love ALL those items! especially the gloves! :^)
Charity said…
Love those W&G gloves, and the scarf is so lovely! It must be nice to have a knitting buddy - I've only recently begun to find (in person) knitting friends, and I'm loving it! :o)
Unknown said…
Fantastic photo! Kitties on laps, knitting in hand. What more is there?
It's great that some of your family members knit too! I love the hot water bottle cover your aunt made for you :)
Lea said…
i've been working hard on getting a soul sister or brother in on the knitting - but no luck yet. Lucky you. wallace & grommit gloves - very funny and the perfect name!
florencemary said…
Wow, good to hear that your influence is making waves with the 'family'. Good on you! I've tried pretty hard with my family, but they're only just cottoning on, the philistines that they are!
dreamcatcher said…
I heartily agree about knitting being the perfect winter craft, I used to dislike winter but since I started knitting again I now enjoy it :-)
Floderten said…
Haha!! :D Those gloves are fabulous. I think their name is appropriate!

I've knit a lot around my brother and boyfriend, and they have both failed to show any interest. Perhaps I should knit *them* something instead...
raining sheep said…
Wallace and Gromit gloves - that is just too cute, I love it. Is that a bottle warmer in that first picture; absolutely wonderful. I love knitting, it truly is the new yoga. So relaxing and you don't get injured!
Anonymous said…
How lovely to be part of a knitterly family! My grandma and two of my aunts all knitted, and I really love that feeling of following on in their footsteps.

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!