Exciting new project for me, me, ME!

Making a list of resolutions for the new year is not something I bother with too much (you can tell by this opening that I will now go on to talk about the new year's resolutions I am going to make for 2009 but work with me, one day I'll resolve to be consistent).

I like to think that I'm always working towards living better (and what that means varies wildly from moment to moment) I resolve to do all sorts of things whenever the whim takes me with varying degrees of success in keeping to them. At the end of the year I'd rather think about all the great things I've done than see a list of things I haven't. However at the New Year's Eve supper we attended this year I got asked for a resolution and out popped 'knit myself more jumpers'. And so, more jumpers I must knit. Notice the vagueness of 'more'?I finished two jumpers in 2008. I think this goal is achievable.I'm off to a good start with the first new project of the year - a shrug for myself in the truly indulgent Kidsilk Haze. My very, kind parents bought me the yarn for Christmas and if you noticed the Harmony Options circular cable it's hanging from you'll know that I am a thoroughly spoilt knitter. The 1TB's parents treated me to the full set of these terrific needles. What's that you want to see them all? Here you are then - isn't it a compact box of joy? Much more portable than I had anticipated.
I had a definite idea of how I wanted this shrug to look but couldn't find a suitable pattern written in a fine yarn so I'm following the pattern for the Two Tone Ribbed Shrug by the glorious Stefanie Japel whose great book Fitted Knits I got approximately 2 billion years ago* and have never knit from. This brings me on to another resolution (stolen from Lin so I think it doesn't count so much as a resolution, more as copying a good idea) to actually knit more things from my wonderful collection of knitting books. The knitting shelf is getting full and yet so rarely do I actually make a pattern from a book I own. I made a head start on this resolution at the end of 2008 as I finally managed to knit something from one of my all time favourite pattern books - Knitting Nature - when I made Mum's Spiral Scarf. I find resolving to do something after you have started to do it is quite a good way of upping the achievement ratio. Anyone else ever add things to their to do list that they've already done? Makes me feel good :o)

*Well Christmas 2007 does feel that long ago sometimes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm just like you with books - my collection is increasing all the time, and yet I am not in the habit of looking through them for a new pattern. Most of the time now I search Ravelry for free patterns, so I don't even see ones from my books that way!

I love how the shrug is looking. KSH + Harmony Options = knitting heaven in my book!
Geek Knitter said…
I tried so hard to find a pattern in Favorite Socks this morning, but my gauge wasn't right for any of them. So, back to the old reliable Sensational Knitted Socks I go...
T. said…
I like very vague resolutions too! And I'm highly jealous of the kidsilk Haze.
Lynne said…
Yes, you were spoilt! :-) I love the folder for the needles - we gave DD a set of Harmonys and she only got the plastic carry case with cardboard slides! The folder must have been an optional extra - at least in Australia!

I used to count it a blessing if I knitted myself one jumper a year but since I no longer wear them - airconditioning at both places of work have made jumpers awkward and unnecessary - I haven't knitted anything for myself in years! Go for it - you can do it and you probably have more need of them than I do!
Charity said…
Those needles are lovely! I'm trying to knit more for myself this year, too. We'll have to encourage each other along! :o)
Rose Red said…
I've never seen Harmony needles in a box! Very special indeed!

Me three on knitting from my books - I do think about it from time to time, but never seem to actually do anything about it - except knit from books I've already knitted from!!
Bells said…
this is a very, very fine resolution. I want to knit more jumpers this year too - and I made about three last year so I'm with you on the numbers.

You are very spoiled - family who buy you knitting related stuff! Wow.
Lea said…
I hint and I hint - and no one I know gets the knitting gift thing let alone such spectacular ones. I am knitting myself something too - I think we need it after all the gift knitting before christmas. I hope you get to knits lots and lots for you.
Marianne said…
Wow, the Harmonys in a box, I've not seen that, tooo cool! I have a few tips and LOVE them, they are definitely my 'go to' needles!
Kidsilk Haze, mmm, so pretty!
I have also declared 2009 to be the year I knit more for myself :^)
(it's harder than you'd think)
Floderten said…
I also have Fitted Knits, and haven't knit anything from it yet.. Mainly it's because it's lacking in small sizes (I think the smallest are 34" for most, and I need a 32"). But I also buy a lot of knitting books - I think I've FINISHED knits from ... two books?! Eesh.. :P Maybe it should be my knitting resolution to knit something from every book I own...
Artis-Anne said…
Gosh , have you been reading my inner thoughts ? LOL . I too want to make more jumpers etc for myself and want to use mo=re from my books, Knitting Nature being one of them . Lets hope we achieve it :)
I also agree re the needles and I couldn't imagine kniting with any others now. Enjoy :)
Kelly said…
Oooh, that Kidsilk Haze looks blissful. Think how lovely that's going to be to wear!
Amanda said…
I keep promising myself I'll knit something from Knitting Nature too. How was the pattern? I've heard that this book is chocka with errors.
Rachel said…
That shrug looks like it will be gorgeous! In answer to your last question...of course!
dreamcatcher said…
Ooh KSH, that is gorgeous, what a lovely pressie! And the Harmony set too!

One of my aims for 2008 is to knit something in KSH as it has previously defeated me. I'm thinking of "Tender" from the Nectar book.

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!