Hootie Cutie

I have been feeling the owl love that seems to be spreading across the knitting net at the moment. There have been a couple of owlified patterns that have caught my eye of late. It's such a fun motif and a wonderful demonstration of our craft to see a simple touch of cabling create such a strong image. It wasn't however until I saw Cara's renditions of this pattern that I knew I must capture some owls of my own.

Well isn't he a hootie cutie?

Pattern: Give a Hoot from Kelbourne Woolens
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft Aran - 2 x 50g in Poppy
Needles: 4 and 5mm bamboo DPNS
Started: 15 January 2009
Finished: 17 January 2009
Mods: I fiddled with the decreases to leave eight stitches and kitchenered the top closed.

Couldn't be happier with these lovelies. It's like having little friends along to keep your hands warm. I'm sure I'll talk to them on days when the company is slow. The pattern is beautifully set out, very clearly written and easy to follow. They're a very quick knit and made a perfect, relaxed long weekend project. I love how the thumb gussets are worked creating a swoop up to the thumb on the palms.

I chose RYC Cashsoft for the pattern as I've squished it in the past and wanted some of it's super soft smooshiness in my life. I love the vibrancy of the red and it starts to warm my hands before I've ever got them in the mittens. An all round, super cute, multi-sensory delight!

Comments

Modelwidow said…
Brilliant, I love them!
Anonymous said…
Gorgeous! I've been feeling the owl love too recently - it's funny how they've started popping up! I love the red yarn you chose - so cheerful!
T. said…
Love them!! And there are a lot of new lovely owl patterns lately.
Rose Red said…
I love these! The red is superfantastic! And I also love the thumb gusset shaping - very cool!
Marianne said…
Hah! I am lovin' the Hootie mittens! That's some wonderful yarn you chose and the colour is outstanding. I'm also pretty smitten with that thumb gusset design, how cool is that?!?!?
Unknown said…
You did a fabulous job on those. How cute! I love that you kitchenered the close - it really looks very professional.
Lynne said…
Very cute! What a hoot!!

I love the thumb gusset too!
Kelly said…
Wow, those are great! I must have missed this trend altogether, as these are the first cable owls I've seen. Very cute.
Charity said…
These are so cute! I've been admiring this pattern. :o)
Lea said…
I am being seduced by owls too - they are so damned cute - and those mits are brilliant.
dreamcatcher said…
Those are so cute! They look very cosy too :-)
Donna said…
I made my mum a hat and neckwarmer recently and have enough yarn left for some gloves to match. Having seen these, I think they will be perfect. Better get on with them, her birthday is on 8th Feb.
Yours are a lovely vibrant colour, and that gusset shaping looks intriguing.
Floderten said…
Those are adorable, and I love the colour you chose! How is the yarn to knit with? It's an affordable aran yarn for (at least at the moment) so I was wondering if it knits up well...
Rachel said…
I've been noticing the owl trend myself and itching to jump on...they are just too cute! I do really like this glove pattern and you did a great job with it--so pretty and happy in red!
Knitted Gems said…
These gloves are so cute! I just adore the button eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!