Happy May Day

"A small minority, mainly strangers, would look long at her in casually passing by, and grow momentarily fascinated by her freshness, and wonder if they would ever see her again: but to almost everybody she was a fine and picturesque country girl, and no more."
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

***

Thank you to Clarabelle for the original suggestion and to Bells for bringing Tess back to the forefront of my mind; let's hope that unlike our tragic heroine our May Day happiness lasts long and strong.

Comments

Bells said…
Oh how lovely. I'm so glad you love Tess too.
Kath said…
Loving all your pics lately - a real promise of spring days and a summer to follow! And little May Day Tess is lovely too! As are your knitter creations too ;)
Anonymous said…
Oh, it's so cute! I loved the Mayday scene in the 1980s film version.
florencemary said…
Sarah, I'm so touched by this post! The quote is wonderful; that someone would just happen to notice something so special in someone, to take that person out of the ordinary.

Believe it or not, I have my oldest grand-girls coming over this weekend, and we're making peg dolls...
Rachel said…
How funny...Tess of the D'Urbervilles has also been on my mind lately. Thanks for the quote! It just reinforces my decision to read that book again sometime in the near future!
Modelwidow said…
Ah she is lovely! what a pretty little doll you have there

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!