A Tangent

The molehills are not mountains yet. Holiday time saw a little desultory sock knitting and that was it and now I'm knitting off on the most wonderful tangent. I spent the latter half of last week on a very inspirational course - New Directions with Knitting.The tutors, Susanna and Kate, put together a brilliant set of exercises and tutorials that the group could dip in and out of depending on previous knowledge and the directions we wanted to explore. From very technical work such as double knitting through to the fun of knitting with any material you can think of from jute to videotape. I had my first go at knitting with wire and beads and have lots of jewellery related ideas to explore from this experience. There were twelve students with mixed experience and approaches to knitting and that diversity coupled with lovely supportive attitudes helped to make it a wonderful group to be part of. This was my happy space for four days of fun.
My main project piece is a cushion cover with heart motifs, picking up on the idea of knitting in more unusual textures such as ribbons and threads with the yarn and sampling the effects of other techniques I learnt. My other WIPS won't be getting a look in until it is finished.

Comments

Mary said…
What an interesting course. Your knitted cushion cover looks promising. Looking forward to seeing the finished item.
DrK said…
what a terrific way to spend a week. cant wait to see what comes out of it.
Charity said…
That sounds like a great experience! I look forward to seeing what you do with the knitted jewelery - at Christmas, I made bracelets for people, crocheted with wire & beads; it was a lot of fun. :o)
Rose Red said…
oh to spend 4 days straight just knitting, with likeminded people - what bliss!
mooncalf said…
how interesting! I've never heard of this summer school before - it sounds like a lot of fun!
Anita said…
Hi Sarah, it looks like you were all having fun doing your knitting. Knitting rules!! Kind regards, Anita.
GeekKnitter said…
Look at all the fun stuff on that table! What a riot of texture.
T. said…
Yeah! What's better than being in a confined room with knitters? Nothing!!
Rachel said…
Looks like a creative heaven!
Linda said…
That sounds great, sometimes its good to try new stuff which I am so bad at doing! I love the look of the cushion.

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!