And across the way...

...Wendy has now received her yarn ball (and I'm glad to say was as impatient as I to get to the gifties but did so much better than me with the photos.) Yay for the pigeon that flapped all that way.Anyone know of any vacancies to become a professional yarn ball swapper? If so I'm there.

One of my favourite things about this all was choosing the yarn, we both agreed on sock weight and gave some hints on colours and then we had to take the plunge. I wanted to get something as uniquely British as I could to make it likely that it would be a different yarn for Wendy. I dithered a bit but then the lovely Clara P came to my rescue.
I got The Knitter's Book of Wool for Christmas and have been dipping in and out of it with glee ever since. When I first heard about it I wasn't sure I really needed it as it's easy to just think 'wool' and I wasn't sure I'd get much chance to buy different types easily. Then I thought about the little experience I have with different wools, how the socks I've knit in Merino or Blue Faced Leicester are a million miles apart in terms of feel and wear and I knew I wanted to know more and try and be a bit more adventurous.

The book is so beautifully written that I swear you'd enjoy it even if you never knit a thing . For me it's so inspiring and it really encouraged me to look around at what types of wool I could find. Enter Blacker Designs. They have the most incredible range of yarns from British fleece: Manx Loaghtan anyone? I went for a natural colour alpaca and Shetland mix in the end as it sounded a wonderful combination and I just hope it's as fun to knit as it was to choose!

Comments

Caffeine Girl said…
I love that book, too. I haven't knit from it yet. There's a KAL on Ravelry, but it is for Cormo yarn -- of which I have none. And I'm on a strict yarn diet!
Wendy said…
professional yarn ball swapper... LOL!!! I'd be competing for that job, for sure!

and, oh, it's scrumptious yarn!!! I'm thinking of making it into a shawl... or mittens... something that won't be hidden in my boots, anyhow :)
Lynne said…
Ooo! You enabler, you!
I'm becoming more than ever convinced that I need that book!
Rose Red said…
Oh it looks just like a lovely Christmas pudding!! what fun!
Marianne said…
So Very Cool!
That alpaca/shetland is beautiful, what a gorgeous rich brown! I'll be checking out that website, thank you!
Petit Filoux said…
Thanks for the link I'm off to check it out now!
Linda said…
Lovely yarn ball! I keep seeing that book and wanting it!
Charity said…
Oh, very nice! I have this book, too, but haven't had a chance to read it yet... I'll have to make some time!
Kyoko said…
What is a yarn ball swap? I am interested... would love to know what it is involved :D
Don't you just love the book of wool? Oh, I have also been dipping in and out of that book. So much great info and I especially love the individual fibre section (with the pictures of sheep LOL!)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
x
KYOKO
t does wool said…
oh,my scrumptious yarn for sure.so glad you had fun~ we'll do it again....
Rachel said…
I hadn't thought much about that book...but you have convinced me to consider taking a look at it!

I jumped over to see Wendy's pictures and you SHOULD become a professional yarn swapper...great goodies you hid in there!
marycatharine said…
Clara Parkes is my favorite knitting/yarny resource person ever. Your yarn ball looks like so much fun!
Anna said…
I love the yarn ball idea, it looks like such a fun thing to do! And thanks so much for the book/website recommendations. I'd not come across either of them before, and as I am keen to use British yarn as much as possible I was very interested to hear of them both.

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!