A little persistence...

...a little help from my friends (both real and virtual) and here we have a bona fide toe:

Apparently you don't knit the toe of the socks in the round - yes I know that was obvious to all of you - sadly not to me; still Clare got me past that and introduced me to the wonders of crochet which turned out to be a whole heap easier than I imagined - unlike the overall process of starting this sock! I've frogged and reknit this little toe a couple of times to get the short rows just as I wanted them and I'm feeling quite proud of myself. Some new knitting comes easily, some not so - both I find enjoyable in their own special ways!

I thought I'd stick with the recommended toe for the pattern as I wasn't too sure how some of the others would work with magic loopiness but I can see I'll have to try some more toe-ups to try out some of the other options and establish what clicks best with me.

So much for the starting for this weekend; the finishing (in the form of this course) was also most enjoyable and useful - I am hoping for seams and buttonholes of a whole new professional nature in the future - best go and knit something other than a sock so I can get something to practice on :o)

Comments

Clare said…
Yay! Looking good :)
Glenna C said…
Congrats on your first toe-up toe! It really is a remarkable thing.
Linda said…
Well done! You will just cruise along now!
Piglottie said…
Looks good and well done on finishing your first toe!
florencemary said…
Well done on the toe! I have yet to knit any toe-up socks, so you have one on me!
von said…
Looks great! Hope it gets easier :o)
Anonymous said…
Toe is looking great. It makes you feel great when you get the hang of a new technique. I'm not very keen on short row toe myself but prefer Turkish co. It's the crochet bit I don't like.

Thanks for your ocmment on my blog. I live in Liskeard so not far from your parents. Whitsand Bay is great and I've no idea why we havne't been there for years. Think we'll be going there more often now we've remembered how lovely it is.
Kath said…
That toe is looking super - congrats! Like Anni I like the Turkish CO and not so keen on the crochet co - am getting better but seems too much of pain to do! What great service in Matlock! Good to see good will still exists. Hope you enjoy your course and look forward to seeing what you've learnt!
Marianne said…
Congratulations! It looks great!
(I still haven't attempted that one) :^)
Veronique said…
There are so many toes out there for you to try... But you'll always remember the first one! Congrats :)
Unknown said…
Congratulations, nice toe, though I'm not sure how you did it with a crochet hook! Me? I knit the toe on circulars, using the magic tube method, then graft the toe stitches.
Artis-Anne said…
Whooo hoo great toe-up , congrats :)
Unknown said…
Maybe not quite up to my armpits in wool, but not far. I dream of swimming in CTH yarn, weird huh?
I have packed stamped jiffy bags to send the goodies home so I don't have to lug then all over London!
Oh my hands, I had RPI, that became progressively worse and ended up as carpal tunnel syndrome. No knitting for 9 months...it was...difficult.
The hands still give me some gip, but it is getting better.
Are you going to Ally Pally?

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!