Gently Does It

I'm having to take things gently at the moment, so the arrival of Jane Brocket's totally glorious 'The Gentle Art of Domesticity' this week could not have been better timed. Anyone who loves yarnstorm will surely feel the same about this book - its the blog made 3D: great photos and witty words. The production values applied by the publisher are admirable. The wonderfully done covers make it a real pleasure to touch.

It has been a very gently arty domestic weekend - we celebrated two years of home ownership yesterday with a meal of take away sushi and squeals of excitement at the rugby. I've done a little weeding, a little bulb planting, a little baking (the Brocket Battenberg Cake naturally), much tea drinking (we've been trying some different teas to get the perfect cuppa with our very hard water - Yorkshire Gold leaf tea is a mile in the lead at the moment) and of course some knitting. The Esthers are nearing completion (hurrah for Socktober), I've finished a sleeve for Arisaig and cast on the first of my "intended for Christmas gift" scarves. This afternoon I've a date with a murder mystery video and the sofa so I feel sure that some more progress will be made.

Comments

dreamcatcher said…
Lovely book, the cake looks rather delicious too! Congrats on your 2nd anniversary in your house :-)

Thanks for the shade information for the Koigu too. I've found some 112 (differet dyelot) in a US online store, I tremble at the potential shipping costs though!
florencemary said…
Wow, you've made that cake? I thought only Mr Kipling made it?

Hope you're enjoying a lovely gentle weekend, and congratulations on your home-ownership anniversary!
Glenna C said…
That cake looks gorgeous and delicious! And I hope the Esthers turn out well :)
Marianne said…
Sounds like a good all round time at your home! Congrats on the 2nd year house anniversary and the cake looks absolutely delicious! I wanna come over..... :^)
Anonymous said…
Oh that cake looks yummy to cuddle up with together with tea and knitting. Good luck with all your gift knitting. I can tell I'm already behind on mine.
yvette said…
When we lived in yorkshire I did have to convert to yorkshire tea, my soft water scottish blend, just did not cut it there. Good luck in finding the perfect tea, after 5 years in france I am still lugging teabags every trip!
Hope you got lots of xmas knitting done while film watching.
Terri said…
The book looks great! I keep thinking I should be starting christmas knitting too, or I'll end up with a load of UFO's again like last year LOL!!!
Congrats on two years in your house too:-)
Linda said…
Doesn't your cake look lovely! I hope you have had a lovely rest with that book.
Sarah Ditum said…
I don't think I've ever seen a home-made battenberg. I thought they sat alongside jaffa cakes in the cakes-a-human-baker-has-never-baked Hall of Fame. Yours looks delish. Congrats on the house anniversary, but please, no more of this Xmas knitting talk when some of us *coughWebbocough* have only just cast on for a birthday present due four weeks ago...
Charity said…
That book looks wonderful! I've been enjoying watching the response to it around the blog world. :0)

I really like the way your scarf is coming along - so pretty.
twigletqueen said…
Is that my so called scarf? It looks lovely, very pretty colour.

I'm now sitting in bed at midnight with a craving for Battenburg. Hmm, not good.
Oh can I come over for tea and we can read the book together, BUT only if I can have some of that yummy looking cake...
Suzie Sews
Piglottie said…
What a beautiful picture - your Battenburg is picture perfect! The book looks wonderful (now on my Amazon wishlist!).

Is that a My So Called scarf I see there? Looks lovely whatever the pattern. Hope you are OK.
Curly Cable said…
Sounds like the perfect weekend, the cake and tea look too yummy for words. Happy 2nd Anniversary in your new home. The esthers are coming on well and Good luck with the christmas knitting

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!