Thursday, July 12, 2007

Goodbye Miss Meanie...

...hello best daughter award winner. You may remember my reluctance to allow my Mama's scarf its full complement of the heavenly Debbie Bliss silk. I grumped over the fact it needed two skeins for a fair while but this weekend I knuckled down and lo, my Mama shall have a scarf that circumnavigates her neck with ease.Pattern: Easy Lace Scarf from Knitter's Review
Yarn: Pure Silk by Debbie Bliss, Colour: 27003, just under 100g
Needles: 4.5mm bamboo straights
Started: May 12th 2007
Finished: July 12th 2007
New Skills: First full lace pattern
Modifications: I added 5 more garter stitches each side of the central fan to make a slightly wider scarf
Notes: This is not a two month knit - that was all due to the grump, it is quick easy and fun to do - just enough pattern to keep me interested and not so much that I spent too much time going back to correct. Obviously there was some tinking (note to self - knitting in the dark in the garden to make the most of the one proper summers day so far in 2007 does not make for good progress). I am not over the moon delighted with this, I think mainly because I love the yarn with unnatural passion and I'm not sure that the pattern lives up to it. This silk feels like I think silk should feel. I'm not sure I can explain this but I remember the first time I felt a silk shirt it was a huge disappointment to the child that had revelled in imagining silk. This yarn hits the silk mark set out in my imagination, it is beautiful. I must find other small projects for it.

9 comments:

Janey said...

Your mum should be thrilled, it's beautiful! Great pic as always!!

Marianne said...

Beyond lovely, your Mother will be very pleased I'm sure. I know what you mean about the silk..there's the raw kind of silk (which is a bit..rough) and then there's ...silk.

Webbo said...

Very pretty scarf, and very noble you! (By the way, my local John Lewis had bags of DB silk half price - have you had a look in your's lately?)

Charity said...

This is lovely, Sarah, what a wonderful gift for your mum! (I'm sure she'll appreciate the sacrifice, and after making such a noble gift, surely you deserve to go out and pick up something nice for yourself, right?) :0)

Queen of the froggers. said...

It does look pretty. I had some silk laceweight once that was horrible, so hard and slippy. I have just got some 2 ply silk from Fyberspates, what a diference, the stuff is so soft it is my dream yarn!

Reckless Glue said...

beautiful! It just dawned on me that I should do something like this in silk for my own mum!

Artis-Anne said...

I am certain your Mum will be thrilled with it especially as you have knitted it and silk too? wow :)

Craftydramaqueen said...

Cornish pasty cake. The buttercream icing is inside. I used ready to roll on the outside. I did it in two pieces, crimped them together and trimmed with scissors. It was very faffy!!

Kendra said...

Wow your mum will love it. I adore the DB Pure Slk too. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...