All Tooled Up - knitcroblowc

I'm going for the wild card topic today as I talked about the new skill I most want to learn on Tuesday. Oddly for a girl who needs to get to grips with the hook my single, favourite, piece of knitting equipment is a crochet hook. This very basic teeny little hook has saved my bacon or more accurately my socks on more than one occasion.

One of the early pieces of advice I absorbed from somewhere was that part of the start-up equipment for knitting should be a smallish sized crochet hook which would allow you to pick up dropped stitches with much greater ease than the point of a knitting needle. I duly added a hook to the kit and have been very glad of it in one knitting crisis or another. Then, one day, as I was swearing over some slippery sock stitches too small for the one hook I had it occurred to me that I could get a 2mm hook and those weeny dropped stitches would be at my mercy. Fabulous piece of sock knitting kit that I never want to be without, though as my beloved will tell you, tiny little hooks are good at hiding, especially when they need to have their photo taken for a blog post. knitcroblowc

Comments

Kyoko said…
You know, when I asked my grandma that I wanted to knit, she taught me crochet first. At first, I thought she did it because she was old... but then I realised that crochet was so integral part of knitting and I am so grateful for it! My grandma was totally with it :D
Hope you have a lovely day!
x
Kyoko
plumbum said…
(ARGH - Captcha!!!!!!!)

When I was a little girl my mother had a special tool for picking up dropped stitches. I have an idea that it was a war-time thing, used for repairing those precious stockings. It was like a tiny-scale rug hook, with a little clasp on it that held each stitch safe as one picked them up. It was better than a small size crochet hook because it had rounded smooth edges and was less likely to split the stitches.

I have never seen one in the shops but I would love to have one of my own. I wonder if they still exist?
KnitMinion said…
I too love my crochet hook for picking up dropped stitches, they are a lifesaver!
Lynne said…
I must remember to use a crochet hook next time - a needle stretches those stitches something shocking! thanks for reminding me!
T. said…
My hooks ALWAYS go missing!

Popular posts from this blog

Elsa's Babbit

"As in knitting, as in life"

Blogiversary Again!